Pages

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Branch competition and overlapping

My hubby just called on his lunch break.
He told me that his division found out today that one of the second classes will be sent to Afghanistan for a year. They find out in an hour who it is.
Thank god my husband is just a measly ole seaman still. When we signed up for this, I thought deployments meant being out to sea. Sure, they can range anywhere between a few days and a year, constantly get extended, and are still dangerous. But that's what I prepared myself for. I didn't prepare myself to send my loved one to Afghanistan. I couldn't imagine only having a few hours notice. I know what it feels like to have a days notice, but again, that was what I had prepared myself for as a navy family.

That leads me to this: If I ever hear one more person say anything about the Navy being the least important of the branches, I may just smack them in the face. No branch is more or less vital than the other. That's why we have the different branches- we need them all.
One of my best friends has a boyfriend who I extremely dislike. I try my best to be civil, because I know what it's like to have to choose between your friends and your man. When Chris and I went back home for Christmas last year, I invited them to our party. Things were alright, until we started talking about the military somehow, and he said something to the extent of, "The Navy doesn't really do anything anyway." I looked right at him and said, "what did you say?" He continued to talk about how the Navy has it easy, and they are never in danger. Seriously? You come into my family's home and tell me that my husband is less of a soldier than someone in another branch? It took all my strength not to snap at him. Instead, I calmly told him reasons why he was foolish. When I started to get angry, I walked away. Alcohol and anger don't mix.

I'm not exactly sure what I said to him that night, but I know it consisted of this:
Oh really? Well did you know..
The Navy is often the first ones deployed during a crisis.
In fact, we know someone who was on the first ship to be called on when 9/11 occurred.
My husband's ship has done things in missions that I am not allowed to tell you.
Army and marines are not the only ones who get sent overseas to Iraq and Afghanistan.. Plenty of sailors get sent there also.

If you don't know what your talking about, don't open your mouth. I will continue to be proud of my husband for serving his country, while you sit at your day job and take for granted that you have the right to say those things.

1 comment:

  1. People also forget or don't know that the Marines are PART of the Navy. And that our country's special forces unit is composed of Navy Seals. The Navy has airmen, seamen, submariners, and many others who are working for our Nation as a whole. There's a lot of ignorance out there. Thank you for taking a stand!

    ReplyDelete