Pages

Monday, June 3, 2013

June Green Series: All Purpose Cleaner

In an attempt to organize my blog, I'm going to post a green series once a month with some recipes or tips that I have found.. I'm going to start with an all purpose cleaner, since it's a staple in our house that we use almost everyday!

About two years ago, I started making my own cleaner for around the house. Now that we have a little one, I am even more in favor of my chemical free cleaner. There are a ton of cleaner recipes out there, but I use a pretty simple one:

1 part water
1 part vinegar
1 part hydrogen peroxide
20 drops tea tree oil
20 drops lavender or lemongrass

In case your worried that an all-natural cleaner won't be as effective as your bleach or other chemical cleaner, here are some facts to ease your mind:

Vinegar kills most mold, bacteria and germs because of its high acid content.
Hydrogen peroxide is an oxidizer and disinfectant.
Tea tree oil fights bacteria, fungi, and viruses and stimulates the immune system.

I was a little nervous about the vinegar smell, but its really not an issue. The lavender and lemongrass don't completely cover up the vinegar, but it goes away as soon as it dries. Honestly, I would rather smell vinegar than a chemical bleach smell.

I usually make one big bottle and switch between the lavender and lemongrass. It's the only cleaner we use- for dusting, wiping down the sinks and kitchen counters, cleaning the bathroom. Just like any cleaner, let it sit for a few minutes so it has time to work its magic!

No comments:

Post a Comment