Pages

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Day 2- My parents

I have an interesting family, to say the least. I won't go into specifics- no matter what, they are my family, and I would never air our dirty laundry like that.
I used to think my mom was a superhero growing up. She did what all the other parents did, but there was only one of her and two of them. I think she loved me twice as much to make up for there only being one of her. However, we have gone through some pretty hard times. She gave me an awesome childhood, but I became an adult quickly. I was forced to learn a lot of life lessons all at once, and even though it wasn't easy, it made me a better person. Despite her faults, I can still say that she was a great mom and is now one of my best friends. I love her. 
My dad has been in and out of my life ever since I could remember. Right now, we are at the stage where we haven't talked in months, actually a year, if you don't include the merry christmas and happy birthday texts. I've tried so many times to tell myself that he hasn't affected my life, that I don't care. But after many many emotional moments, I have realized that it has impacted me significantly, in more ways than I could explain here. I don't think my dad is a bad person; I've met so many people who have nothing but good things to say about him. He works hard, and has overcome many things in his life. Everyone makes mistakes, but not everyone knows how to deal with them. He made a few very big ones- and our relationship was one that couldn't be fixed.
My dad was never around, but my grandpa sure was. I was always closer to my grandmother, but when she passed away, my grandpa and I built an inseparable bond. He moved into our guest house, and I used to carry dinner back to him no matter the weather, and watch baseball games with him at night. My grandpa was the most stubborn man I ever met, but I was able to get to his soft side. In February, my grandpa underwent heart surgery. He made it through ok, but spent the next month in and out of the hospital because his body was too weak to recover. There were many times when I rushed home from school two hours away to be with him. When it was his time to go, my grandpa held on just long enough for all of my family to make it in time to say goodbye.
I never got to tell my grandpa that I got married. It was a few weeks after his surgery, and my family and I decided that it would be too much for him to handle. He knew that I was going to do it sooner or later, but he used to lecture me about being too young. I always planned for him to walk me down the aisle, so it broke my heart even more that I couldn't tell him. I am so thankful that I had him as a father figure growing up.
I know, this was a depressing entry. But thats my life. You have to go through a lot of sad times to get to the happy ones. Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment