Pages

Monday, April 11, 2011

I survived

I didn't think it would be this painful.
I know everyone handles things differently.
I'm not 'good with pain' or 'bad with pain,' but I know what pain is. I have broke my wrist, dealt with numerous injuries, and injured my lower back.. but none of that prepared me for this.
For those of you who don't know, I had an ovarian cyst removed on Friday. Even though it was laproscopic (they made three small incisions- one above each hip and one down my belly button) it still felt like my stomach was ripped in half.

I was so nervous for my surgery that every doctor and nurse (believe me, there were a lot- balboa hospital is amazing) asked me if my heart rate was normally so high. When the doctor gave me the 'happy medicine' I just started giggling and all I remember is kissing my mom and husband goodbye and then the mask being placed on me.
I don't remember being woken up in the operating room, just the 'recovery room' with the nurses. They asked me if I knew my name and where I was was. "Ashley." "Balboa." Then I remember the pain hitting me, and telling the nurse how bad it was, then getting sick. I remember going back into my own room with my husband and mom, and trying to keep my eyes open when the doctors and nurses spoke to me. Asking for more pain meds twice, and then if I could go for a walk so that I could go home to my own bed. Once I got home, I asked Chris to set me in bed, and I just slept.
The next morning was torture- all of my medicine had wore off, and I felt the pain full force. Sitting up to take vicodin took everything I had. Standing up made my whole body shake from the pain. I took 4 naps Saturday and 4 naps Sunday. Saturday I took so much pain meds and ate so little that I woke up horribly nauseous on Sunday. It took me almost the whole day to get over it.
Today is day three of the recovery, and it is so much easier than the past two days. I am no where near being better, but now I can get in and out of bed myself, sit on the couch for more than an hour, and eat. I even showered last night! lol.

My mom and my husband have been wonderfully supportive. Chris helps me in and out of bed, tells me how strong I am, and spends time with me when all I want to do is lay in bed with my eyes closed. My mom has been taking care of the house, and cooks meals that tempt my lack of appetite. My sister, who went through the surgery herself has also been supportive- the doctor told me I should feel much better the next day after my surgery, and when I woke up feeling worse than the day before, she was the one who told me it was ok to be in pain. Having such a hard time with the pain makes me feel weak, but I am the only one who truly knows my body.

Thank you for all of your get well wishes and prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment